Picture frames used in the installation were all to be different, in size, shape, and look, but I wanted all of the frames to match. So, I painted them all with a base-layer of white, then I painted a layer of umber, and a final layer of white. Lastly, to finish up, I sanded the frames down so that they looked like they were very old, and the colors were starting to strip off.
Storyboards were created for the picture frames I wanted to display the videos in. The storyboards are short because I wanted the videos to be short. By creating short videos, I wanted the viewers to feel a sense of brokenness and disjointedness from Lorne’s memories. There are three storyboards for three of the picture frames. The fourth frame shows a school-picture-day portrait of Lorne, while the last frame shows Lorne’s narrative on a loop.
The animation consists of a few steps. First, I chose a background for the animations. To do this, I found royalty-free images that I thought would be believable for Lorne’s environments. Once, I’ve decided on the backgrounds, I treated them with filters and color corrected them to fit the mood. Next, I composited on top of the backgrounds, frame-by-frame hand-drawn animations of Lorne. Lastly, I created a series of hand-crafted vignettes. This process is done so that I have several to choose from when compiling the animation, but also this allows me to animate them in the video.